In this simple gourmet recipe that consists of only eight ingredients the thick cut of lamb chops are flavored with garlic and served with a red wine and artichoke hearts sauce seasoned with oregano and pepperoncini. This is an impressive dish Adapted from the Eight Items or Less Cookbook by Ann Lovejoy, Lamb Chops and Baked Garlic that is suitable for a special evening or romantic occasion. You need lamb chops, olive oil, garlic, artichoke hearts, red wine, dried oregano, and dried pepperoncini to make this healthy recipe. Lamb chops are the most popular cuts of lamb. The most tender parts of which are those cuts from the rib and loin. The less expensive options are cut from the shoulder and from the leg, which are ideal for stews and braising. It is best to choose a tender cut of meat when baking that will cook well in the oven. Thaw the lamb chops in the refrigerator covered in greaseproof paper if you are using frozen lamb chops to make this healthy recipe. Take the chops out of the fridge at least an hour before cooking, to allow it to come to room temperature.
Choose those that are at least about ¾ inch in thickness when purchasing lamb chops for use in this healthy recipe. Smaller or thinner lamb chops are easier to overcook and will yield dry and less flavorful meat. Since they are less likely to dry out the center and keep the meat juicy and tender larger cuts are more desirable. Look for lamb chops that are pink in color. The lamb chops should feel firm to the touch. The bones should have a red tinge and should look moist. Cooking techniques and easy cooking videos are available at the link.
Some like their lamb medium rare while others like it well done. Cook the meat according to your preference or your guest’s. A medium rare lamb chop will have an internal temperature of 140 degrees F. The medium rare will measure about 155 degrees F while the well done lamb chops will register at 165 degrees.
2 thick-cut lamb chops (4 to 6 oz. each)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 head of garlic (kept whole and unpeeled) + 2 garlic cloves (minced)
½ cup artichoke hearts
½ cup red wine
½ teaspoons dried oregano
2 dried pepperoncini
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With olive oil spray it on a 1 ½ qt. baking dish.
2. Brush the lamb chops with oil. Spread the minced garlic over the meat. Then place the lamb chops in the prepared baking dish.
3. Slice the head of unpeeled garlic in half crosswise. Rub the cut sides in a little oil. Place in the baking dish with the lamb.
4. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until lamb chops are done.
5. In the meantime, in a saucepan make the sauce by putting the artichoke hearts, wine, oregano, and pepperoncini. Stir and bring to a simmer.
6. Serve the lamb chops with one half of the garlic head. Remove the pepperoncini. Spoon the sauce over the chops.