This Southern gourmet recipe of buttermilk fried chicken, the chicken is made crunchy and crispy on the outside while moist, tender and juicy on the inside. It is absolutely mouthwatering right down to the bone. You need buttermilk, salt, black pepper, flour, vegetable oil and chicken to make the perfect fried chicken. This recipe makes flavorful chicken that rivals fast food fried chicken that kids can’t get enough of. For a true Southern treat serve this with buttermilk biscuits. With mashed potatoes, French fries, pasta, or rice this is also delicious. Fried chicken makes a fun appetizer or snack for informal parties and is one of the most popular finger foods in the world. With beer it goes very well likewise with wine or soft drinks.
Some recipes to increase the moisture of the meat and enhance its flavor require brining thechicken by soaking the chicken pieces in a salt and sugar solution. In this recipe, together with the buttermilk, salt and pepper, to tenderize the meat and give it a luscious flavor from the inside out, the chicken pieces are cooked in the saucepan. You don’t need to wait hours for the meat to soak unlike in brining, Compared to the brining technique this is a faster method.
In this method also not only flavors the chicken but it also flavors the buttermilk mixture with chicken essence. You can reduce the buttermilk after cooking the chicken in the buttermilk solution and serve it as gravy. With creamy mashed potatoes it tastes absolutely delicious. Chicken in this recipe results in a crispy skin when it is fried since the chicken is already moist and the flour adheres to it more easily. Since it has been already been cooked in the buttermilk it also takes a shorter time to fry the chicken in oil. This makes it moist, juicy and flavorful on the inside and is less likely to become dry and bland tasting.
2/5 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb. chicken
1 cup flour
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1. Mix Buttermilk, Salt And Pepper In A Bowl. Stir Well.
2. Clean The Chicken. Cut Into Medium Pieces.
3. Into a saucepan pour the buttermilk mix and add the chicken. Cook over a medium flame for about 25- 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat and drain liquid. Reserve the chicken.
4. Place flour in a deep bowl. For the flour to coat well dredge chicken pieces. Over a medium-high flame cook in hot oil until chicken is light brown. Cook on low flame till deep brown covered. Then uncover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Drain the excess oil. Serve chicken over rice or pasta, using reserved buttermilk mixture as gravy.