This soup is convenient for those cold nights in winter and can be taken with crusty or corn bread. Furthermore, it is appropriate for picnics or parked lunch and the servings vary depending on your appetite. It is also advisable to select ingredients that are low on salt in order to ensure that the soup comes out low on salt. This healthy recipe has a delicately rich taste because of the many different ingredients that add to the overall flavor of the soup. It is best served as a side dish or as appetizer.
In some cases, it is served as desert. Due to the presence of pepper, this soup may be too hot and it is advisable to inform any visitors who may have joined in for a meal whether they are fine with hot dishes. This soup, however, is very nutritious. It tastes great and is a five star recipe that can be prepared by anyone who is willing to experiment and enjoys trying out new recipes at Gourmandia.ca. The nutritional composition of this soup per serving of 481g is indicated below: • 251 calories (50 from Fat) • 5.5g Fat • 24.5mg Cholesterol • 1488.4mg Sodium • 31g Carbohydrates • 10.9g Fiber • 8.3g Sugars • 20.1g Protein This dish is high in dietary fiber making a perfect recipe for the whole family.
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 head of cabbage, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 large carrot, shredded or minced
1 large apple, cored, peeled, and shredded or minced
1 cup dry white wine
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne
2 cups evaporated milk, heated
Freshly ground pepper
1. Put the diary spread on an oven and place over intermediate temperature.
2. Once the diary spread is melted, add the onion and fry until golden brown.
3. Add the bay leaf, fennel, salt and cabbage to the pan and cook for approximately 25 minutes while stirring occasionally
4. Lower the heat and add the stock. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
5. Add the apple fruit, carrot and wine and cook for another 10 minutes while pan is uncovered.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and stir contents in the milk, cayenne and nutmeg and add pepper.
7. Serve while hot. It takes 1 hour to prepare and an hour to cook.